Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Days of D.C.


I just finished having the weekend of my life in Washington, D.C. with Steele and Brother Ward. We all went out there for the "National Student Leadership Forum on Faith and Values"--so good. After our long, meal-less (which I hate by the way) flight from SLC to DC, we pretty much ran around DC like children in a candy shop. We saw the Lincoln Memorial, the Metro, the White House, 'rain', the Washington Monument, and then I had a moment to reflect at the WWII memorial.

Back in the day, President Truman made a comment about the 'Allied Forces' which included both of my grandfathers. This quote by President Truman was displayed on a wall in the memorial and I had an opportunity to be thankful for my ancestors who fought (and survived) that war. The picture here shows the memorial in front of the Lincoln Memorial.

Throughout the rest of our time there, we met some AWESOME people from all around the United States and also dined with Senators and Congressmen. What was probably the most interesting thing for me was how everybody really gets along and how much the officials in the U.S. Government do--they really are just trying their best.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention how excellent my group was. We had a fair amount of schools represented and we also had some great discussions. Marty, our facilitator, did a good job and we also had Representative Mike Doyle spend a lot of time with us. He kept us updated on the 'Bailout' bill before the news even got wind of a bunch of things; that was awesome, and highly informative.

Finally, on the last day we were able to go inside the Capitol building and discuss the Savior on the house floor (that's the same place where the U.S. President gives the 'State of the Union' address). The building is amazing inside and also has a whole bunch of historical things--I even saw the statue of Brigham Young inside 'Statutory hall.' Walking around the building, and others in DC, really gave me a feeling of nostalgia.


All-in-all, an AMAZING experience and one I will never forget.

3 comments:

Mindy said...

I adore the last photo. kthanksbye. :)

Adam R. said...

I put it in there because it makes me look skinny (I sucked in my stomach).

Mindy said...

Hahaha! Adam! Even more to love you! :)

Blog Disclaimer:

This is the official blog of Adam P.G. Ruri and represents his personal opinion. The blog is not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual. The views of the writer are his own, and do not in any way reflect the views of the site they are posted on, other sites affiliated with this site, the staff involved with the site, or any other members of this site. Furthermore, they do not necessarily reflect the views of the the people who live in the author’s neighborhood, city, province, country, continent, hemisphere, planet, star system, galaxy, or universe of origin. Nor do his views necessarily reflect the views of anyone in his family, social network, or other group Adam Ruri is loosely associated with. Furthermore, the individual letters, words, and punctuation marks involved had no option but to be placed into the story, and should not be held accountable for the writer’s statement. Any spelling or grammatical errors are not the responsibility of the schools the author attended, the teachers the author was taught by, the regional governments who did or did not fund the author’s educational system, or anyone else involved in the author’s education.

Blogger news

Blogroll