Saturday, November 28, 2009

BYU vs. Utah [She's a long one]

Oh boy. That's about all I can say right now. Oh boy.

Tonight was a crazy night for college football rivalries. All across America, football teams vied to take keep their inter-university pride. Being a Kiwi, I'm honestly surprised at how far some fans go in their intense support of their team, or Alma mater, by launching physical and/or mental attacks. Many of you reading this post are aware of the BYU vs. U of U rivalry. Well, that's really where I should begin.

Honestly, when it comes to football and rivalry--people go crazy in Utah! Fans from BOTH sides of the rivalry cross the line sometimes. Saying things and going places that I would never expect from any person of upstanding character (no matter what your religion, political affliation, or team). However, my biggest pet peeve about the situation is hypocrisy. Don't be hypocritical and don't start proclaiming support from senior members of the LDS Church (Yes, the LDS prophet, Thomas S. Monson, went to Utah--but he is now the BYU Board of Trustees Chairman. That makes him a supporter of both universities).

Also, let's not be absolutely naive and think that one set of fans is perfect. Ute fans have done things I don't agree with, and so have some Cougar fans. I'm sorry that some people have been hurt in the process. 

Finally, this brings me to Max Hall's comments tonight after the game. First off, I would actually call Max my friend. And, regardless of what someone else says about the man, that will remain the same (just think, if I listened to all the things people told me about someone else, I'd probably have no friends...ha ha).

Anyway, the comments themselves are his opinion and I think everyone recognizes that. However, I've heard A LOT of reasons why this displayed poor sportsmanship but I haven't really heard any for Max's side of the argument. Give the man a break. Rivalry and football aside. What if someone did something physically hurtful to you or your family? What if you or your family were verbally abused? I'm not condoning or deriding what he said, I'm just hoping that you can take a look at it from another side.

At the end of the day, you might decide that none of this matters. You can still choose to be offended and create an additional inflammatory Facebook group about the subject--that's your right. However, make sure you recognize it is a choice to be offended. This talk (and subsequent excerpt) from apostle Elder David A. Bednar might help you understand:
One of the greatest indicators of our own spiritual maturity is revealed in how we respond to...the potentially offensive actions of others. A thing, an event, or an expression may be offensive, but you and I can choose not to be offended—and to say with Pahoran, 'it mattereth not.'

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice post. I like the overall, "chill out!" tone.

Ryan... said...

You go girl! :)

Brianna said...

thank you for that! I totally agree!

Nat said...

Boom, roasted.

Mindy said...

Clearly I am not a BYU or U fan ... and of course, everyone should abide by the brethren and not be offended. However, this isn't the first time I have seen an action that lacked class by Max Hall. I love that you can see the good in everyone, Adam. And it is easier to do when you know them. But as far as what he is putting out there to the media, this time and before, he sure wants to appear classless himself.

P.s. I have been to football games at the U. They do not sell beer there and they actually check thermuses (sp?) and even BINOCULARS for alcoholic beverages. So his story about his family getting beer spit on them during a game is a bit far-fetched.

Mike said...

As always, Adam, you make some very good points. People take athletics far too seriously at times, and often cannot seperate academics from athletics. However, it appears Max Hall is one of those people. We're not the only ones who can choose not to be offended. Max Hall could make that choice, too. He is entitled to his opinion, of course, and I would also be upset if what happened to his family happened to mine, but the bottom line is that he should not have said that to a group of reporters, knowing full well what the reaction would be. It puts the university I graduated from in a very bad light.
Mindy, I have to disagree with your point about alcohol at U games. Sitting in the student section at a game, I witnessed a group of frat guys pass a hip flask down the row, from which they all took a swig. Granted, I can't guarantee that alcohol was in the flask, but I can't imagine they were all sharing Mountain Dew. I don't doubt that alcohol is smuggled into Rice-Eccles Stadium.

Rob said...

Yeah I agree with ya buddy. Sports are fun and I love sports but you gotta keep everything in the right perspective. It's amazing to me how seriously some people take rivalries and sports in general. A lot of the times it seems like blind following, like they don't think for themselves they just decide to go with some tradition or sentiment that's been around for a while. We are all responsible for what we think and do, bottom line.

Mindy said...

Mikey, you could be right. I just know that when we went, they checked my dad's binoculars *just* in case he was trying to get some cervesa in! :) This was probably four or five years ago and we still chuckle about it anytime he whips them out at a football game. :)

Chance said...

I agree with the taking offense comment. The lesson that I learned from this is that when you are the face of an organization (like Max is for the football team and BYU) your opinion represents that of the organization you are a part of. What Max Hall said was uncalled for, and I appreciated his letter of apology tonight on KSL.

Adam R. said...

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-byu-qb-max-hall-issues-apology-about-comments,0,1067529.story

Interesting update.

Jason Akinaka said...

Adam, I am offended that you posted a favorable post for your friend Max Hall after what he did.

Just kidding. You're the man. This was awesome.

Bethany said...

adam for president.

Blog Disclaimer:

This is the official blog of Adam P.G. Ruri and represents his personal opinion. The blog is not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual. The views of the writer are his own, and do not in any way reflect the views of the site they are posted on, other sites affiliated with this site, the staff involved with the site, or any other members of this site. Furthermore, they do not necessarily reflect the views of the the people who live in the author’s neighborhood, city, province, country, continent, hemisphere, planet, star system, galaxy, or universe of origin. Nor do his views necessarily reflect the views of anyone in his family, social network, or other group Adam Ruri is loosely associated with. Furthermore, the individual letters, words, and punctuation marks involved had no option but to be placed into the story, and should not be held accountable for the writer’s statement. Any spelling or grammatical errors are not the responsibility of the schools the author attended, the teachers the author was taught by, the regional governments who did or did not fund the author’s educational system, or anyone else involved in the author’s education.

Blogger news

Blogroll