Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Balkans (and Tennessee)

No, I didn't go to the Balkans on my flight back to Utah (Note: The Balkans are commonly referred to as Southeastern Europe). However, on the first leg of my trip, I met two celebrities from that geographical area--this was before the flight was canceled due to a "Heavy Ice" warning that appeared on the computer screen of the plane, in the middle of summer. So, instead of flying from D.C. to Texas, Texas to Vegas, and shuttling to Utah. I was diverted to Nashville, Tennessee *que country music* and had to stay there overnight.

So, just before touching down in Nashville, I made friends with the guy sitting next to me, Vuk, who turned out to be a host from the Serbian TV Station, "TV Kosava." Vuk was traveling with his fellow Balkan, Aleksandar, who is also a journalist from a different country, Macedonia. They both met in D.C. and arrived to do some additional journalism study at the University of Oklahoma (although they have already completed graduate degrees).

While we were standing in line to figure out how we were going to get to our final destinations, we were both put up in the same hotel (Music City Sheraton) and advised that we had been put on the same flight out the next morning at 6am. So, Vuk, Aleksandar and I decided to go out on the town. We arrived and visited the Hard Rock Cafe (not very rocking if you ask me); and then we walked the streets of Nashville.

Mind you, this was not before getting in contact with former Weber State SB President, Dan Schwab, who was also in town traveling back to UT with his brother, Moroni. They found out I was stuck in Nashville via a mutual friend who found out on Twitter. Long story short--I gave up the king-size bed to him and his brother for the night, and, I slept on the rollaway.

Anyway, Vuk, Aleksander, and I visited some of the souvenir shops and even met some drunken ladies. While we were talking, they both convinced me to visit their respective countries--which are laden with very early historical monuments etc--and even offered to host me, when I come to visit them. Also, they may or may not have taught me some terms of endearment in their slavic-based languages. Needless to say, we had a hilarious time! I'm glad I now have these two new mates.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Druken ladies. :) Love it.

Blog Disclaimer:

This is the official blog of Adam P.G. Ruri and represents his personal opinion. The blog is not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual. The views of the writer are his own, and do not in any way reflect the views of the site they are posted on, other sites affiliated with this site, the staff involved with the site, or any other members of this site. Furthermore, they do not necessarily reflect the views of the the people who live in the author’s neighborhood, city, province, country, continent, hemisphere, planet, star system, galaxy, or universe of origin. Nor do his views necessarily reflect the views of anyone in his family, social network, or other group Adam Ruri is loosely associated with. Furthermore, the individual letters, words, and punctuation marks involved had no option but to be placed into the story, and should not be held accountable for the writer’s statement. Any spelling or grammatical errors are not the responsibility of the schools the author attended, the teachers the author was taught by, the regional governments who did or did not fund the author’s educational system, or anyone else involved in the author’s education.

Blogger news

Blogroll